Hair has been since ages been the crowning glory of a woman! It is considered as the most important sign of beauty for women. As for the skin, some women are blessed with naturally healthy and lustrous hair. However, for those who need to take extra special efforts to tend hair, here are a few tips on how to achieve the best results.
Causes of hair problems
• Over exposure to the sun and polluted atmosphere dries the hair, burns the hair roots, and weakens the scalp.
• Excessive use of artificial drier also damages the hair.
• Predominance and vitiation of the Vata Dosha and Pitta Dosha in the body also causes damage to the hair roots, resulting into premature graying and balding.
• Excessive anxiety, mental stress and tensions also vitiate the Doshas, resulting into hair fall.
• Nutritional deficiencies, such as a diet deficient of vitamins, proteins and essential amount of oils / ghee also cause dry and double stranded hair.
• Hormonal changes in pregnancy and menopause also cause mild to moderate hair loss.
• Organic diseases, such as thyroid imbalance, use of strong medicines, especially antibiotics and diet pills, chronic infections and allergies, chemical treatment to the hair, such as use of artificial hair dyes, cosmetic hair treatment such as straightening, and perming, etc., cause damage to hair.
Treatment for hair fall, dandruff and gray hair
• For thick, strong glossy hair, the roots must be firm and the scalp should be healthy and well nourished. This can be achieved by regular application of oil over scalp and hair. Coconut oil is the best oil and has been successfully used in India over centuries.
• Massage with Bhringaraj and Brahmi oils also helps in making hair lustrous and darkening the hair.
• For gray hair, regular weekly application of paste of henna, three myrobalans, and purified iron calx is helpful.
• For dandruff, paste of powder of chebulic myrobalan (Haritaki) and mango seed should be applied regularly.
• It is better to wash hair with natural herbal infusions or decoctions such as decoction of Aritha (), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) and Shikakai.
• While washing the hair, it is best to use warm water and a cool rinse, because the cold water acts as an astringent and tightens the hair roots.
• A balanced diet rich in proteins, minerals and vitamins; especially iron, sulfur, zinc, B complex, and vitamin C as well as essential fatty acids is important to maintain health and luster of hair.
• In cases of severe hair loss, nasal medicine should be employed using Nimba Taila (oil of margosa) in the dose of 2 drops in each nostril once daily.
• Powder of three myrobalans (Triphala powder) should be taken in the dose of 2-3 GMs daily along with honey and ghee as internal medication.
• An egg yolk added gives natural protein and sulphur boost. Yogurt can also soften the hair is used with these rinses.
• Henna mixed with black coffee or burgundy wine not only darkens the hair, but also imparts it a rich look and a smooth feel. darkens the hair, but also imparts it a rich look and a smooth feel.